Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Ice, ICE baby...

TOO COLD! TOO COLD!

The sleet/ice/snow is coming down hard here in NWA and its only going to get worse throughout the day. Just about everything is closed, except for WALGREENS! I am one of the unfortunate ones that has to work today and tomorrow and Thursday too..BUT days like this are the perfect opportunity to get lots of cleaning and managerial things done. SO if anyone needs their meds, I will be at work!

Today's "Winter Blast" brings me back to the Ice Storm of 2009. The power outages and damages across NWA and surrounding areas were devastating.


 I have one GOOD memory of the ice storm though... During the week of that storm was when I knew I was in LOVE with my Patrick. We had only known each other for about a month. He drove me to and from work throughout the storm, checked on my house, and helped with the clean up after the storm. He was genuinely concerned for my safety and I knew at that point he was someone I could definitely trust and that would always take care of me. Two years later, he is still that same wonderful man I fell in love with.

He will be driving me to and from work later and throughout the week. Little things like that mean so much to me. I am truly blessed!
On days like this, I just wish I could spend the day on my couch, warm and cozied up like this:
reading a new book like....

OR spend the day making a hearty batch of soup like this:
The recipe comes from my favorite cookbook, Southern Living Slow-Cooker Cookbook
Tomato Florentine Soup

3 cups chicken broth
2 (14 and 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with basil, oregano, and garlic, undrained
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (10 ounce) pkg frozen spinach, thawed and well drained
1 cup chopped onion
1 and 1/2 teaspoons of minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 (9 ounce) pkg refrigerated cheese filled tortellini
Garnish: Parmesan Cheese

Combine first 8 ingredients in a 4 quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 5 1/2 hours; add pasta, and cook on Low for 30 more minutes. Garnish with parmesan cheese if desired. Makes 10 cups. 
It goes perfect with a grilled cheese sandwich!


1 comment:

  1. I hear ya Kim - I worked today, and I work tomorrow, and Thursday and Friday - and I just want to yell at all Walgreens higher-ups ever. Who are undoubtedly all at home :) But my hubby drives me to work too, so it makes it better!

    ReplyDelete